Industrial and Commercial Bank of China 2018
- Multinational commercial bank, state-owned
- Largest bank in China, largest bank in the world by total assets ($4 trillion)
- Over 400,000 employees
- 21 mid-level executives, ages all in their 30’s, have been ICBC employees for 5-11 years, most have Master’s degrees already
- Come from Head Office as well as many different regional branches
- Working as managers: client managers (both personal and corporate banking), product managers, e-banking, marketing, etc.
- A goal for many of them is to be promoted to an overseas branch of ICBC
- Nine-month program in 3 Phases: customized academics (3.5 months), summer course audits (2 months), and internships in Chicago (3 months).
- Customized courses’ focus was on corporate finance. Also took classes in risk management, accountancy, behavioral economics, cross-cultural management etc.
- Business/Academic English class two days per week for duration of Phase I and II.
- Every Friday they have a visit – to meet with a bank or business, visit a new city. Most recently, they have had lots of interviews with companies in Chicago for upcoming internships.
- Community collaboration: Spent time with conversation partners. Also collaborated with American undergrads who were learning about China in preparation for a study-tour, Chinese undergrads looking to work in China, and Master’s students in Accountancy looking to learn more about networking in the US and China.
- They move to Chicago (August 17).